Saturday, January 12, 2013

Misch – blog update, Friday, January 11th

I am currently sitting in the dining/meeting room of the Children’s Center with several of the boys who just got home from school. They are watching intently over my shoulder as I type on the funny machine known as a laptop computer. I think that they are disappointed that I am not watching any of the videos that Robert has filmed of them. But since it is Friday and they just finished their first week back at school, they are all happy to be home and ready for the weekend. Then Saturday evening we are having a celebration dinner for the kids with PIZZA we’re having made in Eldoret. This will be a BIG deal!


David Karos' sister in-law
who hosted us for tea on our way to Iten.

Today “Rooney, Skywalker and Whaleback” traveled with David Koros and his brother to Lake Victoria. I took advantage of the day to train, do laundry, read, rest, write and hang out with David Lagat. Since the next few days will be busy I decided to go ahead and type an entry on David Marino’s laptop and they can post it when they go to town (so not sure when this will be posted). Tomorrow morning I am doing a two hour long run with David Lagat on the hilly roads of Kaptagat Forest. The forest is a lot like the roads of Colorado and the same altitude. Training is going well and I am looking forward to my first race as a masters runner in three weeks at the USA National Cross Country Championships. Training in Kenya has been good and I wish I could’ve come here when I was 27 or 28 and trained with a group of guys for an extended period of time for the experience. Just a different environment as a whole, but without a doubt Colorado is tough to beat as well and I am thankful live there now.

As I reflect over the past month it has been a very busy time starting with the USTFCCCA meetings in Orlando, Florida December 16-20th, then flying home to be with family in Kansas the 24th and on to Washington D.C the 27th to meet up with David Cheromei and Isaya Okwiya before connecting with the guys on the 28th as we flew over to Amsterdam (where we met Adam and Nick Kern) on the way to Nairobi. I counted at one point I had slept in seven beds in fifteen days. Now that we have been settled at the Children’s Center for two weeks it seems like home.

Over the previous five months leading up to this trip I had a lot on my mind. After directing the Annual Colorado Springs Free Cross Country Camp at the end of July we jumped right into the college cross country season. It was a big year for the program hosting two cross country meets including the RMAC Championships for the first time ever, as well as the team flying to the Griak Invitational in Minnesota (which both our men’s team and Coach Harmer’s women’s team won their races), buying a home (an eight month process to obtain and then doing a lot of work to it) and of course the focus on the team’s preparations as we were shooting for high places at the conference, regional and NCAA Championships (which the team delivered). And finally, I wrapped up the 2012 season by accepting a Vice President position for DII Cross Country with the USTFCCCA for the coming year ahead.

All that to say that this trip to Kenya was waiting at the end of it all and as I sit here with children running around me I can say without a doubt it was worth preparing for during a busy season of life and has been the highlight by far.
Some of the girls having lunch

I can’t even begin to thank all of the people who helped make this experience possible for our team. When I traveled to Kenya the first time back in 2007, I knew that I wanted to return again one day, but I never imagined it would be with a group of college distance runners while staying at an orphanage in rural Kenya. Thankfully the Lord’s plans are far more then we can ever imagine and this experience has gone beyond anything that I can put into words.

I want to say a special “Thank You” to David Cheromei, David Karos (and his entire family), Wilson Kogo, Sarah Agola, David Lagat, David Kibet, Paul Kipkemboi, Joseph Cheromei, David Nyamu, Philip Maiyo, David Korpela, Brother O’Connell, our young friends Hillary, Christine, Roy, Vincent, Teresa, Eliud, Ian, Eunice, Winnie A., Nickson, Sharon, Dennis, Winnie J., Bernard, Brenda, Victor and Gideon for all making us part of your “Kenyan family” during our stay in your country. I will also miss our friends Maggie and Suzy (the dogs), Tracy (the cat), the sheep, chickens, roosters and Nufala and Harambee (the cows) that all room freely around the yard.

As for Robert Scrivner (Whaleback), David Marino (Rooney), Luke Dakin (Skywalker), Adam Kern (Bruce Lee) and Nick Kern you guys were awesome to travel with, live with and experience life with. I am beyond proud to have had the opportunity to be called “Coach” during your college or high school years. You have left a positive impact on the people we have been with on this trip and without a doubt were meant to be here. You are good men who will do a lot of great things for people in the years to come.  Last week I was on a run with these guys when my career training log clicked over the 64,000 miles / 103, 000 kilometers mark. I could think of no better place to be on that day then running the back roads of Kenya with a bunch of college guys half my age. I won’t forget it.

And to all of the people who have supported us, prayed for our trip, donated gear, money and time THANK YOU so much for your part in our journey. It is always the people behind the scenes that make things happen and very rarely get the credit. You all know who you are!



I am honored to have been part of this experience and I have learned much from the children and adults who make up this land. We were welcomed with open arms, people sacrificed for us and I leave herein a few days knowing that I have been blessed.

Thank you EVERYONE!

See you back in the Rocky Mountains next week.

Misch

Proverbs 16:9


No comments:

Post a Comment